• It can be used for filtering ads and other unwished hosts based on a host list – Thus it is a good AdBlock alternative.
• On Android devices (Android 4.2 an newer) it can be used as effective ad, malware and tracking server filter without root access!
• It works with any upstream DNS server - filtering is completely local - no phoning home or such things!
• See dnsfilter.conf file for information on how to configure the hosts filtering.
• personalDNSfilter is preconfigured with the ad host filter lists from http://pgl.yoyo.org/adservers/ via this link (about 2500 entries)
• In case you are interested in a very complete hosts filter, check http://hosts-file.net/ which provides a hosts filter with about 350.000 entries including known hosts for tracking and malicious websites, etc. Find the filter download in the download section. Select a mirror from the hosts.txt download entry.
• You can run it locally on your device or centrally as DNS server in your network.
• Tested on Raspberry Pi.
Credits: Thanks to Tobi (http://t-ryder.de) who provided the app icon (initially for personalHTTPproxy 1.5.70). Thanks to adaway.org, pgl.yoyo.org, hostsfile.net, montanamenagerie.org for providing the filter hosts sources. Thanks to translators @dogiex, @yshalsager, Lukas Novotny, @Taivotat2, @dugi9991, @Primokorn, @gaich, phihungchrome
Send feedback or comments to: firstname.lastname@example.org
28788 visits since February 25th, 2017.