• It can be used for filtering ads and other unwished hosts based on a host list – Thus it is a good AdBlock alternative.
• On Android devices (Android 4.2 an newer) it can be used as effective ad, malware and tracking server filter without root access!
• It works with any upstream DNS server - filtering is completely local - no phoning home or such things!
• See dnsfilter.conf file for information on how to configure the hosts filtering.
• personalDNSfilter is preconfigured with the ad host filter lists from http://pgl.yoyo.org/adservers/ via this link (about 2500 entries)
• In case you are interested in a very complete hosts filter, check http://hosts-file.net/ which provides a hosts filter with about 350.000 entries including known hosts for tracking and malicious websites, etc. Find the filter download in the download section. Select a mirror from the hosts.txt download entry.
• You can run it locally on your device or centrally as DNS server in your network.
• Tested on Raspberry Pi.
Credits: Thanks to Tobi (http://t-ryder.de) who provided the app icon (initially for personalHTTPproxy 1.5.70). Thanks to adaway.org, pgl.yoyo.org, hostsfile.net, montanamenagerie.org for providing the filter hosts sources. Thanks to translators TheImpulson, novas78, dogiex, yshalsager, Lukas Novotny, Taivotat2, dugi9991, Primokorn, gaich, phihungchrome
Send feedback or comments to: firstname.lastname@example.org
64404 visits since February 25th, 2017.